Put your compassion, skills, and interests into action and service
Shanti offers individuals meaningful opportunities to volunteer directly with our clients as Peer Support Volunteers and PAWS Pet Assistance Volunteers. We also provide other ways for volunteers to support our organization and our clients.
Peer Support Volunteers
Peer Support Volunteers get paired one-on-one with Shanti clients who may be women with cancer, people living with HIV, Hepatitis C, adults with disabilities, or LGBTQ seniors. Peer Support Volunteers provide our clients with emotional support (supportive listening, conversation, companionship) and practical assistance (light housekeeping, errands, laundry, cooking, pet care) on a weekly basis for a minimum of six months. Before being matched with a client, each volunteer must attend one of our Peer Support trainings, takes place over an entire weekend. If you are interested, please complete an volunteer application.
PAWS Pet Assistance Volunteers
Volunteers assist clients in our PAWS Program by caring for their pets through supportive pet care services. These services include:
- In-home cat care
- Foster care
- Transports to and from the veterinarian
- Specialized animal care (nail clipping, bathing, subcutaneous fluids)
- Veterinarian and Vet Tech volunteering
- Pet food distribution through our onsite food bank
- Pet food preparation and delivery to home bound clients
If you are interested in becoming a PAWS Pet Support Volunteer, please complete the PAWS volunteer application.
Additional Individual Volunteer Opportunities
Shanti offers other ways for you to get involved including:
- HIV Services Drop-In Center or Activities Desk
- Client Wellness Workshops, Classes and Services (Daytime or evening): volunteers plan and implement educational, cultural, or recreational activities (Tai Chi, writing, art, etc.) or offer a service (haircuts, massage, nutrition, resume writing, etc.).
- Social Service Field Work/Internships: Quality supervision and meaningful experiences for students in need of practicum or internship experiences across Shanti programs.
- Administrative Support in our offices
- Pro-bono Skills-based Support (such as photography/videography, technical assistance)
Volunteer opportunities are offered for English or non-English speakers. For more information, contact Volunteer Services at (415) 674-4751 or by email.
Next Peer Support Volunteer Training
Depending on the impact of the coronavirus Delta variant, we are unsure at this time if the training will be in-person or a virtual training via zoom. If the training is in-person, proof of vaccination will be required.
Friday, October 8 | 6-9 pm
Saturday, October 9 | 10 am-6 pm
Sunday, October 10 | 10:30 am-6 pm
Interested in attending? Complete a volunteer application.